Smoke + Mirrors Album Review

12:14

Hello Lovely People!

So, February sixteenth was a very special and exciting day for me. That was the day that my favorite band ‘Imagine Dragons’ released their second album ’Smoke and Mirrors’. And I, for one, was expecting extremely good things…which they delivered. Overall, I am completely in love with this record. Although, there is nothing like a band’s first album.
 I heard their song ‘It’s Time’ from their first album ‘Night Visions’ on an advert for a film, and that’s where it all began. Imagine Dragons are one of the few modern day bands that truly keep the rock and roll vibe alive. Bands like this have become very rare and the ones which are around are special little pearls. Rare and precious.
I think that this album takes the sound of their previous songs ‘Nothing Left to Say’ and ‘Rocks’ which, were two of my favorites from the first album. I have four or five songs from ‘Smoke and Mirrors’ which are: 
  1. Shots
  2. I'm So Sorry
  3. Dream
  4. Trouble
  5. Hopeless Opus

  











 
My favorite thing about two of these songs in particular (‘I’m So Sorry’ and ‘Hopeless Opus’) is the guitar solos. The band’s guitarist Wayne Sermon is insanely talented and a credit to the quartet. ‘I’m So Sorry’ is much more rock-y than ‘Hopeless Opus’ and the chorus almost seems like a chant to me. Furthermore, the way which it is tied into the song works so well. ‘Hopeless Opus’ seems more like an anthem or ballad which the band has only a few of. But, nonetheless, this song is amazing and shows the talents of all four members (Dan Reynolds, Daniel Platzman, Wayne Sermon and Ben Mckee).

The songs ‘Shots’ and ‘Trouble’ are similar in sound especially in terms of the drumming (thanks to Daniel Platzman). These songs make me want to go out and accomplish something because of the uplifting tones. Finally, the song ‘Dream’, to me, is very thought provoking. The lyrics are extremely beautiful and the way lead singer Dan Reynolds hits the notes is incredible. It makes me wonder ‘What is real? What is worth my time? What is really important to me?’ It’s extremely thoughtful and has a lot of depth to it. That is why it is one of my top five songs from the album.

















‘Smoke and Mirrors’ has some aspects which are similar to ‘Night Visions’ but also, a completely different sound at the same time. Some fans are not too impressed with the new sound, some of my friends aren’t exactly ‘lover’s’ of it, however, I for one am a huge fan of it and am excited and intrigued as to how it will be performed live.

These four men should be immensely proud with what they have created, along with their producer AlexDaKid (KIDinaKORNER Productions) who has helped them through the creation of both albums. Congrats and well done to this critically-acclaimed rock and roll band! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments