The Road to Uni: Cardiff

03:48

Hiya!!

I'm thinking of doing a mini series of posts about universities and choosing where I'm going to go. As most of you know, I'm in my last year of college and have plans to go to university next year. I want to study journalism but it's so hard finding the right course!! In total, I'm looking at 4 universities which are all very different. My first open day ((and currently my first choice)) is Cardiff University.


Firstly, Cardiff is in the south of Wales. A little way out but no as far away as I first thought. It takes about two hours to drive there if the road is good and potentially even less time if travelling by train. The university is roughly ten minutes or even less from the town one way, and about the same distance in the opposite direction to the halls of residence. It's location is fab and is perfect for students.


The university itself is a research university. For journalism, this means that they look at the industry as how it is the way it is as well as learning how to write in a professional way. I wasn't too keen on this type of course to begin with but after talking to some lecturers at the university and my college, it seems like the right way to go. For courses similar to th journalism one (e.g media, comms etc) there is a whole separate building, The School of Journalism. Here there are facilities for those who want to work in media including its own libraries and studios. Also, the entry grades for Cardiff are ABB which seem quite realistic for me. 


Another factor that is swaying me towards Cardiff is its campus. All of the 'schools' are located on the same grounds which gives it a bigger sense of community. Unlike other uni's, everything is together in the same place. Also, they university recently spent £5million on a new students union, and after taking a tour of it, I can definitely say it was worth the money. They have some great features there including numerous common rooms, bars, places to eat and also, concert venues! It looks very high-tech and modern, something I really like! The campus is also super pretty with lots of gardens and a combination of both old and new buildings. 


Overall, Cardiff is definitely one of my top choices so far. I still have two more to look at over the next few weeks and after that I'll have to fill in my applications. We'll then see what happens after that!!


You Might Also Like

0 comments