The Road to Uni: Finance & Accomodation

09:07

As of now, I am finally on the last leg of my journey to university. Last week I completed the finance and accommodation applications and am waiting for them to be confirmed. 

Student finance is such a controversial topic right now because of the way it works. There is a £9,000 loan (per education year) which pays for the course itself you are studying. On top of this, and depending where you are studying, you may get another maintenance loan, which should cover living expenses. The amount you get for this also depends on your current household income. The lower your total household income, the more you'd recover for a maintenance loan. 

As well as this, there's the matter of paying it back. I've heard a lot of stories about people being worried about paying it back and 'being in debt for the rest of their life'. However, this isn't the case. You will ONLY start paying the loan back when you are earning a certain about of money a year (I believe it's around £21,000-ish). Also, if you move and end up living abroad, your debt will be WIPED if you live there for 5 years! After knowing the facts about finance and loans, it doesn't sound all as bad.

 

Now for accommodation. Personally, I'll be living in London so already my living costs have gone up just because I'll be there. For the campus I'll be on (University of Westminster, Harrow) there are two choices of accommodation. There is one right on campus and there is another about 15 minutes away. There is also two different types of halls; standard and 'luxury'. To be honest, when I visited the university there wasn't that much difference between the two. One just had a little bit more security, a slightly bigger kitchen and another flatmate (7 rather than 6). The standard accommodation (the one I'll more than likely receive) will cost me £160 a week whilst the 'luxury' will cost £170. There isn't that much difference in the price either. 

With student accommodation, they prioritize students who are coming to study from abroad and those who live further away from campus. For example, those who live in the Harrow and surrounding area are less likely to recover accommodation than someone who lives 2 hours away. Bearing this in mind, I should be okay. In my second year of study, I should be moving out of halls and living in a flat somewhere nearby. But, we'll see what happens with that when the time comes.
 

All I have to do now is wait. And get the grades. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments